Friday, September 3, 2010

Grace for today

When most people think of grace they think of saving grace. That is, it is God's grace that saves us. True. And for those of us who have trusted Him for that salvation, what a truth it is!!

But there is more to God's grace than the moment of entering His Kingdom. It is called sustaining grace. It is the grace we need to walk through the difficulties of life. Paul spoke of it when he said in 2 Corinthians 12 he had a thorn in the flesh he had asked God to take away 3 times. This was God's answer: 2 Cor. 12:9 "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.'"

Can I just be honest and say I would prefer God's power be perfected in some other way than my weakness? But, I know it to be true: It is when I am the weakest I become most aware of His power, because it is at those times I am most dependent on it. It is at those times I experience God's sustaining grace that gives me the strength (power) to see see Him do His greatest work in me.

I was reminded a few days ago in a piece written by John Piper in his book A Godward Life that you and I are only given enough grace for today. We are only given enough resources for today. This is why it is foolish to worry about tomorrow. We haven't been given those resources yet.

Now within 5 days of surgery, I know I will need more of God's sustaining grace each day before me. If I try to jump ahead and worry about tomorrow today, I am not given that grace yet, thus leading to anxiety. I am grateful for the grace of God in my life to allow me enough for today. I will have what I need each day that stretches out before me.

Lamentations 3:22-23
22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

Whatever you are anxious about facing in the days ahead, you can know God is already there and He is waiting with all the mercy and grace needed to face your challenge. Trust Him in this and you will find a supernatural peace that goes beyond understanding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Mark. I really needed to hear that today. Even though you are not with us in church, God is still using you to lead the flock. Praying for you & the ladies.