Friday, August 6, 2010

Update and Next Steps

I want to first of all thank all of you for praying for me and my family. You cannot know the encouragement you have been to all of us.

The results from the tests this week are back and I just spoke with the cardiologist. The MRI / MRA confirmed what we thought we saw in an earlier echocardiogram. I have a bicuspid aortic valve which has a minor leak. However, this is not the primary concern. The primary concern is an aortic anuerysm on the ascending aorta. That's more medical information than most of you want to know :-).

I apparently have a collagen problem in this part of my heart / aorta that is the cause of both the bicuspid valve as well as a weakened aortic wall. Due to some high blood pressure the wall of the aorta has been under some pressure for a period of time, thus compromising the aorta itself. Blah, blah, blah ...

This "fix" is surgical. I won't bore you with the details. I will be meeting with a cardiac surgeon some time after next week. I had planned on a few days with my parents in S. Georgia and the doctor has given me the go-ahead to make that trip.

Again, thanks for all your prayers. We still have another pre-surgery test or two. I do not have any dates or timelines. I will let you know as I have those.

5 comments:

Steve said...

The fervent prayers of the righteous man availeth much. Know that you have many "righteous" men praying for you, and women too. I had triple bypass 10/17/2008. God isn't done with us yet. Enjoy every day. Trust God. Connected thru Michael H Smith on Twitter.

Anonymous said...

Mark, we are so thankful still for the way this has played out, and know that God will be faithful to complete His work in you. It so reminds us of our medical issues with Cassidy just a year and a half ago. Will continue praying!

Robin Oquindo said...

Praying nonstop for you all.... we love you, but you are NOT dismissed!

Unknown said...

Mark, You are in my prayers. I love you, Leigh Ann, Tiffany and Brittany. God is faithful,and He will see you through this in a great way. The road may be longer than you you want it to be, but rest assured, He will be there every step of the way, and it will seem as if it was a short road.

Unknown said...

My brother had a leaky bicuspid valve that caused an aneurysm also. He had surgery more than 6 years ago. You will be in our prayers.