Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Moving toward preoccupation?

I read this quote of A.W. Tozer on Michael Smith's blog several days ago and I can't seem to get it out of my mind. The quote is: "We are called to an everlasting preoccupation with God."

I started by looking up a definition of preoccupation. Here is some of what I found. Absolutely absorbed in thought. Engrossed. Mentally caught up in something. Lost in thought. I especially like that one ... lost in thought.

Of course, the direction this is taking is that I had to ask myself if I am absorbed or lost in thought about God and the things of God. I know what it's like to get lost in thought about me and my world. I know that it is to get lost in thought as I daydream about the beach or some of the amazing places God has allowed me to travel. I know what it is to be mentally caught up in every day problems and challenges. I just can't get them out of my mind.

But lost in thought about God? I have to admit I have much room for improvement on that one. It is easy to get preoccupied with the finite and the temporal. Why wouldn't I get lost in thought about the infinite and the eternal? I'm working on it. Join me? I'm having to start small. First try 10 minutes of thinking of nothing else but God ... who He is. Start with His holiness, which is the core of who God is. He is other. He is like no other. His power. His love. His wrath. His presence. His justice. His desire to know you personally. His forgiveness available that makes that possible. His gift of creation. His eternality. His mercy. His grace. Then move to longer periods to time. Be intentional about it.

You make a list. Then become preoccupied. When you daydream, daydream about Him. How would that change my attitudes? My behaviors? My responses? My relationships?

No comments: