Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Some things I learned tonight (or was reminded of)

John Duval and I met tonight with about a half dozen members of Clearview that have lost their jobs as a result of the current economic situation. We wanted to assure them of our support as a church during this time of "transition" (a word I learned from one attending the meeting). We will be reaching out in the weeks and months ahead to support not only these but others that are going through a season of unemployment.

More on that as plans continue to develop.

But I want to share a few observations from our time tonight.

1. I was so encouraged by the faith of those around the table tonight. I cannot imagine all they are going through. I've never been there. But I heard faith in their words and saw it in their actions.

2. I was reminded again, our faith journey is not a solo sport. We were made for each other. The "one another" passages (love one another, pray for one another, bear one another's burdens, encourage one another, etc.) must be put in practice every day ... in a recession or not.

3. Prayer is critical. You may not know what to say to that person or persons you know that have lost their jobs during this time, but you can (and should) pray for them.

4. Everyone is hurting somewhere. I listened as some of the group said something like, "I don't want to burden others around me when they are going through difficult times in the families or health." (paraphrased) It is true that everyone is hurting somewhere.

5. This is a great time to be especially sensitive and thoughtful toward others. This of course should always be the case. But it seems the only messages we are getting these days are negative ones. Even persons with jobs are in fear of losing theirs at any time.



Let's look each other in the eye. Smile ... a lot. Do something nice for someone (that doesn't cost any $$). Say something nice. Refuse to participate in the constant negative talk. Talk only about those things that benefit one another. I guess, the best way to put it is to love one another and show it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good word Mark. Thanks!