Friday, December 26, 2008

Resolutions or Recommitments or ...?

Christmas is barely in the rearview mirror. And that means New Year is just ahead. One word we use at this time of year is "resolution". Probably overuse. We all know our tendency to make resolutions for the New Year only to come up short, then feel guilty, then quit, then ...

I am not against resolutions. If they can help you make positive change in your life, go for it. New Year is a good time to do some self-evaluation and make any needed adjustments. Rather than use resolution, I want to use a new word. Semantics only? Maybe. But I want to use a word that better fits my case. The word is recommitment. There are some things I want to which I want to recommit as I look ahead to 2009.

1) I want to recommit my life to Christ. I want my life to reflect the fact that I am His servant more than anything else. If called on to describe who I am, I want it to be true that the statement that best describes Mark Marshall is a "slave to Christ".

2) I want to recommit to my marriage. I want to continue to grow closer to the love of my life, Leigh Ann. I want love her as Christ loved the church. Am I daily laying down my agenda in order to meet her needs above my own? Easier said than done, but she deserves it.

3) I want to recommit to be a godly dad. My girls are getting older now (both in college). I've never been a father of girls this age before. I don't know all the how to's in being a father to girls this age. But, I do know (from God's Word) what it looks like to be a godly dad at any age. I want my girls to remember most about me: "He was a godly dad."

4) I want to recommit to be the best pastor I can be. A shepherd leader. A teacher of The Word. Obsessed with seeing the people God has blessed me to lead to walk closer to Christ, love Him with intensity, worship passionately, and live out their faith in the marketplace. I want to be wise and courageous in this assignment.

Now, I am accountable. Resolutions, recommitments, whatever you might call it ... tell others and suddenly you become accountable. Take stock of your life. What adjustments need to be made?

4 comments:

J Bussell said...

Great post, very inspiring.

goooooood girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leigh Ann's Blog said...

I love your post, Pastor! As you recommit to being a godly huband...I, too, commit to being a godly wife. I'm so glad we are in this together! I am honored to be married to you.

Mark said...

Awww ... you read my blog :)