Thursday, October 21, 2010

Thanks Mom

My recent surgery (see posts below) has brought many blessings my way. I won't rehearse all of them in this post, but I do wish to highlight one that I will cherish for the years God gives me on this earth.

In late July or early August I made a phone call to my mom and dad to inform them of the news the cardiologist had just given me. We knew there would be a surgery in the near future that would require some time to recover. Within a couple of weeks after this initial call we had a surgery date (which would later be delayed 6 days).

My entire family (immediate and extended, including my in-laws) began clearing calendars for the days surrounding the surgery. They would all be here. What a blessing!

But there is one I have to mention especially ... my mom. When I left her in Georgia this morning to return to Franklin, it dawned on me this was the first time she has not been under the same roof with me (car or home) since I came home from my surgery almost 6 weeks ago. I REALLY don't want to go through an experience like this one again, but I am quickly reminded I would not have had a chance to spend that kind of time with my mom at my age (48). She has been by my side hour after hour and day after day for all these weeks. There is nothing I needed that she was not right there on the spot to provide it.

To say I am grateful for her help and loving care during this time is a dramatic understatement. I will always cherish the time we have had over these weeks. Sometimes in great conversation. Often I would awake from one of the many naps in the early weeks to find her sitting next to me keeping constant watch over me. Always making sure I got my meds on time. Driving me to get my blood drawn twice / week and to rehab before I was allowed to drive. But more than all of the things she DID, most important, she was just there!

I am not surprised by any of this because that's the way she has always been. We live far enough apart these days we only see each other 2 or 3 times each year. So I am grateful for this pause God put in my life that allowed me such precious time with the woman who raised me, has consistently prayed for me, spoken quiet wisdom in my life, and led me to Christ.

Mom, I know you will read this (that's right, my soon-to-be 70 year old mom follows my twitter, is on facebook, and reads my blog :-)). Thanks for everything. You know I love you (and I don't tell you enough)! And I will forever be grateful for this time we had.

Grateful to be your son,

Mark

P.S. We already miss you around here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

Thanks for sharing this. I must admit reading it brought a tear to my eye. It has been almost 3 years since I lost my mom, and reading this reminded me what I miss the most. I'm glad you were able to have your mom there with you. I know that was very special. We all are so glad you have recovered and look forward to having you back at ClearView. We've missed you!

Mike