Thursday, October 14, 2010

Scars and a new sound

There is a story found in Genesis 32 that I am sure I don't understand all of its implications and applications. It is a story I have been drawn to often over the past few weeks. The story is of the time Jacob wrestled with God. It was out of this unique encounter with God Jacob received his new name ... Israel. And the rest is history as they say.

The reason I continue to return to this story is that Jacob came away from that enounter with God with more than a new name. He definitely received a special blessing. But he also walked with a limp from that point forward. I imagine with every step Jacob took he was reminded of that night with God. He was reminded of a time that though he wrestled with God, he was blessed by God in a way that changed his life dramatically and permanently.

I have a few new scars I received from surgery just over 5 weeks ago. I look in the mirror now and realize I have some permanent reminders. I also have a new click. I now have a mechanical aortic valve. When the room gets quiet I sound like a clock ticking. It is the sound I hear as I drift off to sleep each night.

The scars and the clicking are sweet reminders of God's providence and blessing in my life. Do I want to go through any of it again? NO WAY! But what a time of wrestling with God. It is a time I will never forget ... and a time that has changed my life dramatically ... all for the better.

The story of Jacob ends like this:
30 Jacob then named the place Peniel, “For,” [he said,] “I have seen God face to face, and I have been delivered.”
Gen 32:30 (HCSB)

I will forever be grateful for the scars and the clicking!

Thank you God for your providence and protection.

No comments: