Sunday, September 14, 2008

Change


I sent a tweet earlier today with a brief comment that Facebook and iTunes have made dramatic changes in their look recently. The Tennessean had an article today about the changes facebook recently made to their site. The title of the article is: Backlash Begins on Facebook's New Look. I almost had to laugh out loud. I have a facebook page. I have been one to click to change back to the old look every time I've had an option. But I think it is funny that the generations that use this site are the very ones that are supposedly the generations that have lived with change all their lives and therefore the generations that embrace change. What are we doing?

iTunes released iTunes 8.0. I downloaded it yesterday. It's very different from the previous versions. My first thought was, "Why did they change it? I like the old one just fine." Then I caught myself. What was I doing griping about change?

I've spent my entire adult life leading groups to make changes. I can't remember a single change I have asked people to make that I did not believe was going to beneficial to them or to the mission to which we had been called. Yet, my first thought when change was "imposed" on me was to ask, "What am I losing?" Why didn't I embrace these changes with gratitude that the leaders of these two tools were obviously making changes that they believed would enhance my experience with their offerings? But that's just not human nature.

I will get accustomed to the new changes made by facebook and iTunes. I will even like them better, no doubt, once I get used to them. I will even soon forget what the older looks were like.

The statement I made in the twitter was that change is not optional. It is a matter of survival these days. This is one of the reasons I most love God. He is unchangeable (I love that line in the worship song). When everything else around me is spinning seemingly out of control, I know God is always there and He never changes.

The world is changing. Expect it. Accept it. Deal with it.
God will never change. Know it. Count on it. Rejoice over it. Live at peace because of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great analogy Mark. I'm with ya on the Facebook thing. I did step up and make the change on my own this weekend. Still trying to find everything again, but I think I'll end up liking it.

Unchangeable, unshakeable, unstopable. Great lyrics, great truth.

Sure miss seeing you around. Let's do lunch sometime and catch up

Byron

Mark said...

Will have to do that lunch. Email me and let's set something up.