Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Text-Driven (A peek into a Preacher's World)

I am continuing to look for language to express what I feel and sense as a Preacher / Pastor. I cam across this video by another pastor (Matt Chandler, Pastor of The Village Church) that says so much of what I feel these days. In a brief 5 minute clip Matt shares advice to preachers. But I thought you might be interested in peeking over my shoulder as I hear advice from Matt.

One sentence you will hear early in the clip is that for many preachers, "preaching becomes just one of the things preachers do". Not the place a preacher wants to find himself. It is a constant battle to push aside other important things I could be doing in order to do the one thing no one else can do for the people of ClearView ... preach. I am re-discovering more and more that preaching is not something I do, it is who I am. I think you will understand what I mean as you listen ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

We will continue to pray for you, that you will have that passion and burning for the leadership of the Holy Spirit as you preach the truth of the Word of God.

Also, one thing that struck me from what Matt Chandler said here is that many times (depending on the culture of the audience) you must overcome morality in order to reach souls for Christ. How true that strikes me for a place like Middle TN which is a stonghold of Christian churches (much like Dallas).
I think we are ready to hear a Spirit filled sermon on "How do I know for sure I am saved". Go for it!

Mark said...

Thank you for your continued prayers!