Thursday, April 24, 2008

Most Important Leadership Skill

Leadership development has been a passion of mine for years. I never gave it much thought until early into my first pastorate. It was then I learned if I could not figure this part out, I would not survive long as a pastor. How do you organize people? How do you motivate them? What is a strategy ... really? Vision? Mission? How do you get everyone (or at least most) going in the same direction?

Well, I became obsessed with the subject. One book led to another. One conference seemed to more conferences. Not long ago, I tried to count how many books and conferences and seminars and leadership groups and mentors and ... I had gone through over the past 20 years. I gave up. Ad nauseum is an accurate count.


After all of the training ... more than that, after 20 plus years of leading various organizations, I have come to one conclusion. The most important leadership skill is (drum roll please): Relationship skills.


I know, I am a slow learner. We spend so much time on mechanics ... strategy ... vision ... budgeting ... planning (short term and long term) ... execution ... organization. But if you can't do healthy relationships, none of the above will matter. And yes, this is especially true in churches. It is all about the people. It is imperative you learn to work with and through people if you are going to see disciples made (the mission given by none other than Jesus Christ Himself).


So, we learn to forgive. To let go of any prejudices and stereotypes that would hold us back. To communcate. To speak truth in love. To listen more than we speak. Never gossip. Be patient. Kind. Honest. Trusting. Keep no record of wrongs. See the best in others, not just the worst. Not be petty. Encourage one another. Pray for one another. Carry one another's burdens. Support. Treat others the way we would want to be treated.

2 comments:

pturner63 said...

I think you have a pretty good handle on that relationships stuff. I am so thankful that you have landed at Clearview. I do miss you at LifeWay but know that you are right where God has planned for you to be. Would love to get with you some time and once I get through Shelbi's graduation I will have more time. Would love to hit the golf ball with you some time.

Mark said...

Thanks! We will have to plan on chasing that little white ball around the golf course soon.